REPORTS TO THE GENERAL MANAGER
Castlecomer Discovery Park is a multi-activity, award-winning
adventure park in Co. Kilkenny operating as a not-for-profit social
enterprise. The organisation welcomes over **Apply on the
website**,**Apply on the website** visitors annually. It has a highly
successful school education and adventure programme, welcoming in
excess of **Apply on the website**,**Apply on the website** students
annually across Primary, Secondary, Third Level and Language Schools.
We are committed to promoting the benefits of outdoor learning and
supporting people’s health and wellbeing.
Activities range from our exciting adventure and team-building options
to curriculum-linked workshops and field studies. We are an accredited
Science Foundation Ireland Discover Centre with a variety of workshops
approved under the DPSM programme. We help Irish students realise
their personal best by creating experiences in the outdoors to grow
their sense of self and the core skills that will help them navigate
their future. We help students grow; we help schools perform. We help
parents enjoy more mature, independent children, helping young people
become real world ready. From providing industry-leading pre-set
courses to fully tailored, curriculum-integrated programs, we connect
with schools across the country to bring education outdoors.
We are recruiting an enthusiastic, motivated and dynamic individual to
manage the school programme and to broaden our educational remit in
the areas of environment and sustainability.
This is a leadership role, for someone who is a passionate
communicator and who will find ways to use our unique site to educate
visitors in the areas of environment, sustainability, carbon recapture
and wellness. The candidate should have excellent knowledge and
professional experience of Ireland’s education system with a passion
for the outdoors, environment and STE(A)M learning. The role will also
require the successful candidate to support the General Manager in
administration duties. This is a rare opportunity to be at the
forefront of one of Ireland’s leading education and activity
centres. It involves the research, design, delivery, outreach,
marketing, evaluation, staffing, budgeting and reporting of the
You will ensure that all our programs are delivered to the highest
standards of consistency and quality, meeting the needs of students,
schools and staff. You will ensure that all programs are delivered
efficiently and profitably with an overview of risk management. A key
measurement of success will be the retention of our current customers,
and growth of the programmes.
You will manage and be accountable for cost control without quality
compromise in outdoor delivery. This will require a detailed focus on
workforce management, effective and efficient program design and
delivery and management of resources to enhance sustainability.
* Manage daily operation and organisation of the school programme and
* Champion change and lead the team in provision of contemporary
sector leading programs
* Seek out and implement improvements to increase efficiencies in
all aspects of program delivery
* Identify and pursue new opportunities in promoting (outdoor,
environmental, sustainability) learning across a variety of audiences.
Lead innovation to increase access to our programs to a broader client
mix. Champion the work of The Discovery Park and the value of Outdoor
Education internally and externally.
* Identify outreach and other learning related revenue-generating
opportunities including funding streams
* Keep abreast of trends and developments in Irish education
curricula, outdoor learning, environment and adventure tourism
* Explore opportunities to develop teacher CPD workshops and summer
* Be involved in budget planning and monitoring pertaining to
program development and delivery
* Identify and implement business improvements to improve efficiency
* Monitor and control program costs to meet budget
* Instigate changes to the program delivery model to increase
* Ensure program change is minimised to ensure program margins are
* Record, monitor and report on programme progress
* Collaborate with General Manager and others on the marketing and
promotion of the programme
* Liaise with existing partners and stakeholders, fostering new
relationships to progress sales
* Maintain and grow contact database and networks
* Recruitment, training and mentoring of staff to deliver programme.
Manage HR requirements of the team including training records and CPD.
* Preparation of staff rosters for school groups with other team
* Coordination of work placement students
* Work with other staff to develop and coordinate seasonal events,
* Creation of welcoming and suitable environment for visiting groups
* Promote environmental action plan/sustainability of operations
* Ensure compliance with Children First Act and Safeguarding of all
* Implementation of Health & Safety requirements and completion of
risk assessments. Lead and role model the following of safe work
procedures and instructions. Lead the compliance with Irish H & S
legislation. ? Seek and provide health and safety guidance for all
new or modified work procedures
* Monitor and act on relevant complaints and incident reports
* Proactively seeks Continuous Professional Development
* Collaboration with other management staff to plan, coordinate and
review Park activities, events, programmes, procedures and policies
* Works under the direction of the GM to effectively carry out
* Manage phone calls and correspondence as requested by the GM
* Develop and submit various ad hock reports.
* Create and update records and database with personnel and safety
* Assist colleagues as directed by the GM.
* Assist the GM with funding applications / administration
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
* 3rd level qualification in outdoor education, teaching & learning,
environmental science or similar
* Demonstrated experience in developing and delivering outdoor
learning and STE(A)M related workshops to groups.
* Access to own transport with full, clean driving licence.
DESIRABLE, NOT ESSENTIAL:
* People Management experience
* REC3 First Aid or similar
* Safeguarding 1,2,3
* CARA Disability Inclusion Training
* Leave No Trace
* Demonstrated ability to provide inspirational leadership to a team
of outdoor professionals
* Demonstrated ability to work on own initiative and assume
* Strong financial acumen with experience in budgeting
* Proven ability to work as part of a team
* Strong organisational and effective group management skills
* Project management skills with ability to multi-task
* Excellent interpersonal and communication (oral & written) skills
* Ability to analyse, synthesise and summarize data
* Excellent research and reporting skills
* Ability to network and collaborate with a variety of stakeholders
* Engaging group facilitation skills
* Innovative problem-solving capabilities
* Displays flexibility and responsiveness and has the initiative,
attitude and ability to thrive within a dynamic, challenging and
* High level of proficiency with technology particularly Microsoft
* Competency with the Irish language an advantage but not essential
The role is subject to Garda Vetting.
The post will be **Apply on the website** hours per week rostered over
7 days as required. Occasional evening and bank holiday work required.
Deadline for applications **Apply on the website**st March **Apply on
Please send CV’s to **Apply on the website**
We need : English (Good)